To get somewhere you already have to be there

Posted by Swaroop C H on October 13, 2009 Filed under: business, entrepreneurship, lifehack, startup, student

The irony in this world is that "To get somewhere, you already have to be there."

From an individual perspective:

• If you want to make money, you need to already have money.
  • To get a job, you need to be one-year experienced and not a fresher.
  • If you're experienced and want to apply for a job that you really want to work on, you should already have the background of working in that area, and you should already know how to do all that the job entails.
  • If you want to write a book, publisher expects you to have already written a book before.
  • To be listened to, you need to be an expert, not an amateur, but how do you eventually become an expert if you're never listened to?

From a startup perspective:

• If you want to get funding, your startup should be in a position to not need funding.
  • If you want to stock your product in ezone, you should not be a 1-product company, but a 5-product company.

And on and on.

To get somewhere, you already have to be there.

P.S. I'm not condemning, condoning or approving of the situation. Just making an observation.

Raza Sayed says:

Nice idea !..i guess its like the classic chicken and egg conundrum :)

Amit says:

Most if not all would have had similar experiences. I definitely have faced similar situations. I guess it is because people cannot judge individuals and companies without looking for a past record.

Madhusudan.C.S says:

Awesome post. Can I put this post link as my status message? And adding to this ...

To join a tuition(coaching), you must prove that you don't need one (i.e you must have scored 90% or above in the previous exam) :P

Siranga says:

To get a loan, you should prove to the bank you don't need one!

Coming to Ezone, I was wondering why the ION lab charger wasn't stocked there in the first place? Is that the reason? that you need 5 products??

I see them stocking chinese fakes!! (Sensei shuffles and some others) WTH..

Girish says:

Rightly Said.....
Keep the blogs flowing...

@Raza @Girish Thanks.

@Amit Yes, that's true. I guess that's what they call "building up a reputation."

@Madhusudan Of course you can, that's how the web works ;)
And true about the tuition situation, that's a big irony.

@Siranga Good one about the loan. And, yes w.r.t. the charger.

Azeem says:

Freshers do get jobs via campus placements.
Nice article. Most of the things are true.

devadutta says:

"If you want to make money, you need to already have money"
Hits the nail on the head :)

Nice perspective.

I think Paul Graham mentions in one of his articles about ramen-ware. Your line "If you want to get funding, your startup should be in a position to not need funding." reminded me of that.

Helen says:

So true, and rather funny.

Of course, there are ways to 'fake it till you make it' - writing your own website, writing an ebook, volunteer work and teaching community groups. Writing apps for yourself and setting up a home network, and studying until you know your topic backwards.

Avinash says:

Nice post, Swaroop.

Also, to get somewhere, you already have to be there... mentally. It's done in mind first, only manifestation remains.

Although there are too many slips between the cup and the lips, but mental affirmation/achievement/belief is still necessary.

Tyler Prete says:

This is more formally known as leverage. When you have it, it's easy to get what you want, but getting it is the hard part.

The_other_swaroop() says:

Very well written and thought !

Thejesh GN says:

Just like get a should have money.

Aditya says:

yea. its vague version of "the rich get richer and the poor get poorer" right

ullas says:

nice one ...but I hope all we commoners will prove it wrong with what we are doing ....

Basant Singh says:

This is "Comedy of life"...when you need it, you don't have it...Good insight.