Thought for the Day

19 Sep 2009

The world is no place for a logical/rational person.

-- Swaroop C H

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

-- Albert Einstein

A fool may be known by six things: anger, without cause; speech, without profit; change, without progress; inquiry, without object; putting trust in a stranger, and mistaking foes for friends.

-- Arabian Proverb

Question for you: How do you distinguish incompetence, laziness and unprofessionalism?

Comments

srid says:

the distinction between incompetence and laziness is simple. try working from home. ;-)

Vinayak Hegde says:

I have realized that all three of them go hand in hand. Also one leads to another. So hard to distinguish sometimes.

Rafeek says:

Happen to see this blog today. Does this put some light? Do rational/logical persons tend to be perfectionists?

@srid Heh... My question is how to identify it in another person :)

@Vinayak Agreed.

@Rafeek That's a good discussion. However, what I was talking about was not rationality vs. imagination or rationality tending to perfection, it was a clear opposite poles of simple logical thinking vs. stupidity / incompetence.

I am now convinced that the majority of the world is full of, what a friend of mine considers as, "cloud people." They are neither visionaries (flying; imagination) nor are they grounded. No one knows where they are, mentally speaking.

srikanth says:

How do you distinguish incompetence, laziness and unprofessionalism?

difference b/w incompetence & laziness is on the dimension of time and mostly at an individual level.. to further explain, a crude example -> I am a db programmer.. So, I am incompetent in biochemical experiments.. But, I am lazy in learning network programming or in doing db stuff.. i.e. lack of competence is incompetence.. competence might be something that can be acquired or something that might be a personality trait depending on the context.. laziness is when I am unable to prioritize my activities and tend to come off as incompetent even though I might be internally competent.. laziness has an element of being temporary and is generally more evident for short term things..

whereas professionalism is a social contract.. professionalism assumes competence.. it is a contract to deliver with reference to other people(at a philosophical level, to self too!).. crude examples of contract might be sticking to deadlines, being truthful in terms of capabilities/competencies etc...

first 2 were more individualistic & professionalism is social.. laziness can lead to unprofessionalism but there are many causes for unprofessionalism and hence it can't be generalised...

there might be other interpretations..

On the other hand, why is the world a wrong place for a logical/rational person? I would rather say that the logical/rational person is probably the happiest person!? :)

@Srikanth I agree that it is contextual, but the reason I am thinking about this is to figure out what is ailing another person.

The problem why a logical/rational person cannot be happy is because he/she has to deal with the other irrational people! :)