How Fresh Graduates Can Grow

13 Dec 2008

As a small experiment, I had put up a skribit sidebar where anybody can suggest what I can write about. Little did I know that it would actually be used seriously. Someone posted the topic "On how fresh graduates can learn independently and grow. Instead of waiting for the Company to help" and today, there are 9 votes on it!

To be honest, I think I am not qualified enough to answer this question. I am certainly no role model. But since 9 people have voted on it, I feel obliged to write something useful. I have jotted down some thoughts on what ideas and habits have helped me, it may not necessarily be useful for everyone. I hope these fresh graduates who voted will pick the best ideas and habits suited for them.

Character and Lifestyle

Instead of focusing on building a career, why not focus on building a character? The career will take care of itself.

Career Building

Basically, you need to take initiative in what you want to achieve, no one can tell you what you have to do, life is not that simple. I'm glad the original question poser said that he/she wanted to grow "Instead of waiting for the Company to help", you've got that part right already.

I recommend reading:

Get Results

Ultimately, you need to take action and get results. It's not enough to just plan and hope. As Morpheus would say, "There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."

Read

My personal slogan is "I read. Therefore I do. Therefore I am." If I compare myself to my school days and today, there has been a major transformation in character and outlook, and I attribute that purely to reading.

A great part of my learning also comes from writing, hence the blog, wiki, books, and twitter. It might seem like a waste of time, but I learn more by communicating. But that's just me.

If you don't know where to start, I would suggest The Personal MBA Reading List.

Friends

Make valuable friends. This is the most important tip I can ever give you.

Equally important, make the right kind of friends. Yes, it's tough to let go of friends who you intuitively know are not the right influence on you, but speaking from experience, it is worth it in the long run.

As a wise man once said, "Tell me who your friends are, and I will tell you who you are."

Learn Your Trade

For example, if we are talking about a software engineer:

I also recommend reading:

If you are looking for more in-depth knowledge, I would recommend taking a look at this Stack Overflow discussion.

Make A Difference

Consider this excerpt from a Business Week article:

One vocal camp even maintains that the repetitive nature of writing software code has corrupted Bangalore's intellectual spirit. "These 20-year-olds are like coolies, doing the same job over and over," says CNR Rao, a Bangalorean scientist who has been an adviser to the Indian government for decades. The software industry, he says, has turned the city into a glorified sweatshop. "Where is the innovation?" he asks. "How does this contribute to anything but greed and commerce?"

The joy of programming is the joy of building and creating something. Wouldn't it be amazing if we can build and create something useful for other people? If yes, why aren't we doing more of that? After all, there is no dearth of things that we can create.

Closing Statement

Hopefully, I have given some food for thought here.

If this article was useful, please feel free to post suggestions on what I can write about on my skribit page.

Update on 29-Oct-2011: Also read this great article by Patrick McKenzie (a.k.a. patio11) called "Don’t Call Yourself A Programmer, And Other Career Advice"

Comments

Rk says:

Useful post ...many good links.

M R S says:

Hi, here i must say 1 thing..that just yesterday itself i came to know about this site, and the person who mentioned about this had given a brief introduction. But today when i visited and realized that here we can get much more things what he had told.. M a first time visitor but m really impressed.. Thanks a lot..

Girish says:

Good Info....
Keep the blogs flowing...
Girish

guruprasad says:

very useful & good links.

keep the good work gng ...

@everyone Nice to know it was useful :)

S S says:

I think there is one more quality that i have come across very successful people -
"Determination" .

I think determination is one of the most important attributes to succeed. Do not limit this determination to academics or a money making career. Apply determination to all facets of life - whether buisness , personal or sports. Remember its the determined who trump over the genius. Look around you , and observe people who in your eyes have succeeded , not all of them were the 4 GPAs or "F.C.D" of your class.

The reason , I say this is relevant to fresh graduates is , once your done with college , in many ways its your hard work and desire to succeed that takes you places. Not your scores and ranks . That was passe~.

S S

The Midnite Sun says:

Its wonderful to come across such an insightful blog. I completely agree with the blogger, first we should know who we are, what are we capable of doing. Majority of our success depends on Mental stability, the right kind of attitude plus environmental influence. Having an individuality is very imp, it reflects in ya thoughts correspondingly in ur acts. Don't let negetive people affect ya, make ya feel miserable for smallest mistakes of yours :D

Thanks Swaroop for those useful links and sharing your perspective.

Paul Allen says:

I really like this post, and feel that it really speaks volumes to how I feel. I'm so glad to actually see people out there that have the same values as I do.

Thank you very much for posting this!!

The_Other_Swaroop() says:

I found this link which I thought touched on the same subject:

@The_Other_Swaroop Interesting, thanks for the link :)

Omkar says:

though provoking article... thanks!

Shrinivas says:

"All intelligent people are not achievers. Those who have confidence, motivation and persistence along with intelligence can create the wonders."

tej says:

..really...wondrful thoughts.... now i realizing that friends circle really have role in our future.
thax keep ..it up