New Theme

12 Aug 2008

I'm such a sucker for good design.

After a couple of years of the nice pop colored theme, I decided to get a new theme, this time by the talented Divya Manian a.k.a. "NimbuPani".

The main characteristics I was looking for was that the theme should be simple, elegant and functional. And Divya was bang on target.

Three months later, the theme is live. I got eager, so it's not quite done yet. I'm still tweaking things all over the place.

Update: As always, when there is something new, there will be new glitches. Commenting was broken but it should be working now. Thanks to Manish for alerting me.

Comments

Manish Jethani says:

I love the home page! I hate sites with 20,000 blog posts on the homepage. With WordPress's new features, your blog becomes just one partof your website (albeit the central part). This is absolutely the wayto go.

Incidentally I had Divya Manian's nimbupani.com open in another windowas I saw your post, which is quite a coincidence.

scorpfromhell says:

Super! I like the new design as well as the design of nimbupani.com. Exactly what I was looking for to remove boredom of the templates provided at work :)

Deepak says:

Hi Swaroop,
I have been a fan of your blog almost for 2 years now. I some how like the old design (will take time to get used to the new interface).

Good to note that age has changed from '25' to '26'. And I don't see your punch line "Conning people since................"

Thanks,
Deepak :-)

@Deepak Wow, 2 years! I don't think even I've been reading myself for that long :-P

Yeah, I really liked the old design, that's why I had it for so long, but I needed to keep up with the times and needed something more professional-looking :)

@scorpfromhell Thanks!

Paul-Sebastian says:

Hi, and yeah I tried to comment a couple of times. Hope it works this time.

I just wanted to say that the new theme is definitely better than the old one and, even if this doesn't matter, I like wider displays of data to speak in general. Did you consider a larger width theme, or a variable width theme?

OK, good luck to you. Thanks for writing ABOP, I'm learning Python at the moment and your book is my guide. ;-)

Manoj says:

This theme is definitely better. Keep going and best wishes for the ionlabs.

Ramjee says:

Swaroop,

I like the old theme better. I was a big fan of the colors. The content of your blog always went with that color, bright, red, proactive, insightful, opiniated etc.
Difficult for me to take this.
I like the home page though, simple and elegant.
Except for the coloring, the new design is good. (i still say the old one rocks).

@Paul Unfortunately, I realized much late in the cycle that it was a fixed-width layout. However, one advantage is that a fixed-width layout means it looks better on all screen sizes.

@Manoj Thanks!

@Ramjee Hehe, thanks for the candid feedback. Yes, it does require getting used to do, but there are some reasons for me preferring this new design, which you will know in due time :)

Manish Jethani says:

By the way, you need to do a lot of work on your theme. e.g. clicking on the author name in a comment doesn't take you to the author's website, thanks to broken URLs. I think if you test this theme you'll find a lot of issues.

Manish Jethani says:

You need a print stylesheet. You can copy it from my site.

@Manish Can you please provide some specific instances where the author name URL was broken?

And yes, you're right about the print stylesheet.

Swap says:

Swaroop, just click on any of the comment author's website. It's adding the following to their URL:

%27%20rel=%27external%20nofollow%27%3E%3Cimg%20class=

Nice theme though, I think I should think of a change as well!

Manish Jethani says:

@Swaroop: Click on my name in this comment. Does it take you to my home page? Or do you get a 404.

devadutta says:

I keep wondering, how do you bump into such brilliant designers?
The old design was awesome and this one tops that!

Arky says:

Broken xhtml code in comment author name links

@Swap @Manish @Arky Whoa! That's a glaring bug. I disabled the WP-Identicon plugin and it's all working now. Unfortunately, this does not happen when a user is logged in, that's why I never came across this before.

@Devadutta The secret of my success: Find 'em and pay 'em ;-)

Moved to WPEngine | Swaroop C H says:

[...] old superb theme by Divya Manian (Nimbupani) was beginning to show its software rot – it didn’t have support for widgets or the [...]

Prakash says:

Change is always good. Nice and simple design. All the best for this new start.

Hey Prakash,

Thanks for the compliment and the wishes!