Indian Innovations for the Energy Challenge

29 Jul 2008

After reading Atanu Dey on India's Energy Challenge and Vijay Anand on Why the N-Deal is important, I was wondering if there were some interesting things being done in India regarding energy. And sure enough, I came across these:

vertical axis wind mill - Solar - Syed Zahed has created a "Solar Home Energy Pack" that combines a MAGH-I woodgas stove, solar lamps and torch lights with rechargeable batteries and a solar panel. It costs just five thousand rupees. The "Good Stove", as they call it, is declared as open source technology / Creative Commons. And it's being used in the Himalayas.

Solar Home Energy Pack - Harish Hande, an IIT Kharagpur graduate, is on a mission of rural electrification using solar home systems. - On a different note, there is encouragement through the Solar Innovation Program and the Cleantech Ventures Program - Pedal - Energy Conservation Mission, Hyderabad has developed a pedal/solar model that can charge mobiles, PDA, laptops, a fan and colour TV. That's right, you can pedal to become fitter and generate energy at the same time, and it costs just 5000 rupees! Read the poster for details. - Biomass - Just a small note that the Rural Business Hubs initiative in India (a partnership between Ministry of Panchayati Raj, Confederation of Indian Industry and the Panchayat) is encouraging jatropa cultivation and other methods of generating bio-diesel. - Waste - BIOTECH is turning food waste and other organic waste into bio-gas which can be used for cooking and even produce electricity. - SKG Sangha is creating biogas for cooking plus fertiliser from slurry using the 'Deenbandu' cow dung based biogas plant. As a woman from Mallipatna says: "We have many benefits from biogas. With wood, our hands used to itch when we cleaned off the soot from the pots, our eyes had tears, our chests were painful and we coughed a lot. We had headaches and we had sight problems. With biogas, all these problems are gone."

There are even people like S S Sivakumar who convert air to water, because "he was convinced that water, or the absence of it, held the key. Water plays a dominant role in Indian politics and economics. Agriculture, which accounts for 18% of the country’s gross domestic product and which is the livelihood of 60% of the population, depends on the monsoon and most states have long-running disputes with their neighbours over the sharing of river waters"!

Credits: Most of this information is gleaned from Dr. A S Rao's excellent blog on Indian innovators.

Comments

Energy Innovations in India | DesiPundit says:

[...] lists some wonderful energy innovations currently being explored in India [hat tip: [...]

Dinesh says:

This compilation is wonderful. I really like the Pedal powered Charging station. I bet if it is released in US it will sell very well. Good job for putting these together.

Energy: Indian innovations | ckunte.com says:

[...] lists some of the Indian innovations for the energy [...]

The Great Indian Energy Innovation! |Technology and Business Startups in India says:

[...] you | Jul 30 2008 | Entrepreneurship|  Email This Post [Guest post by Swaroop. He has collated list of energy/cleantech innovation happening in [...]

shankar says:

Mr.Swaroop,

Why do you list 'Anaconda' as an Indian Innovation ?

Please check it out first before you post as it falsely excites people and then disappoints them.
It's a nice thing I came across and from your listing got excited, but then I knew it was mainly pursued in UK/Scot..
So, on checking found that it's not Indian innovation.

Pls correct the error. Thanks.

@Shankar Sorry for the oversight! It seems I forgot to check the names of the people behind Anaconda whereas I had done that checking for the others.

Thanks for pointing it out. I have removed it from this list.

Global Voices Online » India: Energy Innovations says:

[...] Swaroop CH lists some interesting energy innovations in India. Posted by Neha Viswanathan  Print Version Share This [...]

Aneesha says:

These are some very interesting finds i must say! :) I have referenced the link of this post here: http://78mmadventures.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20&st=0&gopid=471&#entry471

Vinay says:

Interesting blog/post :-)

Sriram Krishnan says:

On the home page, this post appears garbled (text on top of other text). IE7 on Vista

@Sriram Egads, you're right. Will look into it.

David says:

Hi Swaroop,
Excellent compilation! I would like to get in touch with some of these inventors/entrepreneurs to see if we can create some of a partnership to test and implement their ideas in rural Jharkhand.

Thanks,