The Need to Fight

16 Jun 2008

Long ago, a wise friend I used to know once told me that humans have many kinds of needs - physiological, emotional, etc. Along with these, there is also the need to fight.

I've been thinking over and over on how true this is. Or whether it is just baloney.

The need to fight. And I'm not talking physically. There is something that you're always fighting against - whether your focus is challenges at work, or road rage, or even fighting with your loved ones.

A basic human need is to fight. That's why we have wars and battles all the time. Especially in the mind. I know many people who coded best when they were angry. Maybe our genes and body are built for action, for the rush of the battle.

Pillow Fight 2008

Maybe that's why the milestones in a startup feels more "earned" than when working in a big company where the same situations are so shielded.

Maybe that's why you get things done only when you have a deadline.

Maybe that's why people do sports, trekking, adventures, long distance biking, etc.

Maybe that's why people with rags-to-riches stories are more happier than kids of rich people.

Maybe that's why people feel fired up after a debate or a race, irrespective of whether they win or lose.

Because you're trying to fight the odds.

And if people don't have the fight in them, or don't fight for anything, that's when they seem so boring, so bored and so lifeless.

Maybe that was part of the message in the Fight Club.

Fight On!

P.S. Has there been any organized pillow fights in India?

Comments

Rafael F. says:

I think the message of the Fight Club was about the inner fight. That's most interesting for me

Shreyas says:

I am all game to organize one? We could rent a cheap motel and get sponsorship from the pillow maker!

@Rafael Yep, that's what I was referring to by "Especially in the mind" :)

@Ankur @Shreyas : You serious? :) It could sure be an interesting event!

srid says:

Long ago, a wise friend I used to know once told me
that humans have many kinds of needs - physiological,
emotional, etc. Along with these, there is also the
need to fight.

The instinct to fight is already part of that physiological/emotional systems in operation.

I know many people who coded best when they were
angry.

Heh. Define 'best' here. Was their code simple? readable? had good comments? good abstractions? good design? reliable? how about performance?

vahid says:

Very nice Idea. In my opinion , the best fight for modern humans is to fight with thier weaknesses . That's maybe the most difference between modern and pre-history humans :)

@Sridhar:

Yes, but so is the ability to push our physical body, but people don't necessarily exercise (sic) this. Same with the instinct to fight.

This question can be asked independent of the state of mind. It has more to do with the calibre of the person.

srid says:

Yes, but so is the ability to push our physical body,

Physiology, yes. Emotional, no. Instincts, no. But we digress. :)

Heh. Define ‘best’ here. Was their code simple? readable? had good comments? good abstractions? good design? reliable? how about performance?

I asked this question because you said "I know many people who coded best when they were angry" - anger being a state of mind. And that exactly is what I am questioning - define 'best' here.

@Sridhar Well, I don't know. That sentence is what they claimed :) ... I guess that's when they have high concentration or motivation.

Ankur says:

"Has there been any organized pillow fights in India?"

Don't know. But would love to be part of one.