How about an Indian amateur music album

10 Mar 2008

My latest "power song" is the flagship song of the Colourblind band. Who are these guys? I have no idea. From what I read on their website, they were/are a couple of rockers who got their album recorded with Sony Music India in 1999. Not sure how many copies they actually sold. They had got great reviews by newspapers but apparently still didn't get support from their recording company:

We sold 10,000 copies in 2 weeks. Regardless of that Sony didn't put out more copies in the market and published only 500 CDs.

Nine years later, we have the ubiquitous www giving opportunities for everyone to spread their music. For example Kal-Jug by Azad Zeeshan to some awesome fusion flute by Bapu Padmanabha on Muziboo and many more bands featured in the RadioVerve channels.

Unfortunately, you get to hear these songs only online inside a browser. Why is this a problem? Because I listen to most of my music on my iPod during commute, runs or walks.

This is why I really wish Muziboo/RadioVerve/etc. would consider producing an Indian "amateur" music album. A while back, Niara and myself were discussing that the potential is really big considering the online virality (do a couple of youtube videos or at least put some of the mp3s online) all the way to marketing at the national level in cahoots with a big production house. Imagine how many college bands would want to be featured.

Oh heck, you could even do a reality show on TV to select the bands whose songs get to be in the album! (well, okay, maybe this one is a stretch)

On the other hand, I sorely wish there was an indie iTunes store in India where I could purchase these songs. Or perhaps even a Sell-a-Band for an Indian audience.

For now, I'm waiting for MusicYogi.com to deliver my copy of The Raghu Dixit Project's new album. Can't wait to listen to 'Mysore Se Aayi Re' on my iPod.

Comments

@Satchit: Yes, there are bands out there but there is effort required to keep track of bands to either find these bands or listen to these bands on these online radios and then figure out if there's a way to download/purchase their songs.

@Prateek: Great updates indeed!

@Atul: Well what I was really hoping for is a list of some of the best songs so that I can discover the better bands without having to do the digging myself, not really the physical media.

Yes, completely agree they may not be comfortable with it. That's why the thought of a CD. Artists would be comfortable with it, especially when they can get a cut of the proceedings.

Good to know the "other ways" are coming up :)

Thanks for the pointer to the badge.

At the end of the day, I'm still waiting for (or at least haven't discovered yet):

An easy way to find the best indie music.
A way to purchase/download the songs (without DRM).

satchit says:

The music of a lot of Indian bands is available for download either on their website or on myspace. As you may have seen, MusicYogi has a good collection. iTunes now has a good Indian Rock collection as well. As for more info about Colourblind, you may want to check this gigpad forum thread:

Atul Chitnis says:

Heh - a demand for physical media, in the 21st century? How archaic :)

Seriously though, one of the things that RadioVeRVe doesn't do at this time is provide downloads of music.

Not every artist is comfortable with their music being freely downloadable, so we make it simple - we play their music over our channels, and tell people what the artist's website is. If the artists want to allow downloads, they will have them on the website, or they will tell you where you can buy the CD. :)

Fair?

This is also one of the reason why we have (and play) what is probably the single largest collection of music by independent Indian artists. And the collection is growing at an unbelievable rate.

BTW, who said you can only listen to the music if you visit the website with a browser? You can listen to it on your cellphone, or using your media player, etc. Check out http://radioverve.com/?page_id=18 for more info.

And (without giving away anything at this time) we are working on other ways as well. :)

Thanks for listening to RadioVeRVe - every pair of ears listening to the music we play is another victory in our effort to get Indian independent music heard by more people around the world!

If you want to help, stick the RadioVeRVe badge (from the same page above) on your website and link to us! Let more people know where to find good music!

Atul

Prateek Dayal says:

Hi Swaroop,

Today is your lucky day :)

Muziboo has partnered with Musicon, a company that has setup kiosks in several cities to distribute indie music ... you can checkout more details here

This is a pilot. If the response is good, you will see more distribution channels soon

Also we have a beta radio up and running .. check it out sometime at http://muziboo.com/radio

Regards
Prateek

Ashwin Bhatnagar says:

I remember hearing Colourblind through a tape that Manu lent me. I still have the recording - not in digital form though. I agree with you - I would be more than willing to buy this stuff online from a provider (DRM be damned).

Incidentally, another band that never released a CD was Orange Street. I absolutely loved their first album 'Candywalk'. Do not know too much about their later works.

Raghu says: