Two unofficial traffic rules in India

07 Mar 2008

1. Ignore all honking. Most of the honking is by nincompoops who want to save 30 seconds in travel but waste away their lives during the rest of the day.
    • Solution: We should ban all horns. It's purpose has been lost. Reduce the noise pollution, please.
  2. Never drive in front of an auto, beside an auto or behind an auto. In other words, stay away. As far away as possible.
  3. Solution: We should reduce the angle by which autos can swerve, at least by half. All hail the king of the road.

Comments

Sridhar says:

Rule 3: Sometimes driving license looks similar to a Rs100 bill :)

@Kalpesh: Exactly! The irritating part is that many people wait 55 seconds for the traffic signal but get so itchy in those last 5 seconds and start honking like crazy. Ugh.

@Abdul: Yes, traffic has indeed become so stressful. Thank heavens for the iPod.

@Rekha: Sounds like a reasonable suggestion, not sure how practical/implementable it is though.

Kalpesh says:

I am from Mumbai. But I think the pattern remains similar.
I am not sure why people honk, when the car/bike in front of it is waiting & it goes on till the 2nd person with vehicle in a jam

So, if there are 10 vehicles which are stuck waiting. 10th person honks (there is no point in doing that. everyone is waiting). Listening to that 9th person honks, then 8th, 7th & so on. Looking at that the other lane also honks (as if they are saying "ya I know, this idiots doesn't know how to drive".

And, look at people on traffic light. They are with their car/bike in a F1 race mode, waiting for the light to turn green. The concept of zebra crossing is only in school books.

In Mumbai, people run over the footpath (especially bikers). Not sure whether they work for ISRO & are in a hurry to test the rocket to moon.

It requires greater control by oneself, when other people are acting/doing things they think is correct (and are wrong actually) & laughing at you (although you could be right, in reality)

Enough of it :|

Abdul Qabiz says:

@Alpesh I agree. I try to avoid honking, and most of times I don't. During my stay of 1.5 yrs in Pune I didn't do it single time. I moved to Bangalore, I have to do it sometimes for reasons you mentioned.

Sometimes people push you (indirectly) from behind to move even during red-lights or there is no way to go.

I have stopped going out on weekends, I spend most of time in my neighbourhood walking. Take auto-rickshaw, once in a while. I can't bear this stress (crazy traffic + guilt of breaking rules or honking, unintentionally).

-abdul

"woh bajatey hain, khud to suntey hain aur humey bhi sunatey hain. Nah chah kar hum yuheen suntey rahtey hain..." -abdul

Rekha Dutt says:

I have one suggestion to make and I hope it is practical. They say "Don't raise the bridge, lower the river"Instead of trying to teach traffic rules to millions of automobile drivers we can instead lower the decibel level of each horn.There is a law governing the amount of exhaust emanating from a vehicle,because of which every vehicle owner has to check the smoke pollution levels of his vehicle and get a certificate for the same. In the same way the decibel level of each horn for a particular vehicle can be fixed and controls can be imposed just as in smoke pollution. Decibel level can be lowered because horns definitely don't have to be as loud as they are now as horns are used only to warn a person directly in front of you and the present decibel of horns are enough to make you jump out of your skin.What do you say? Is this possible to implement