Singapore

27 Dec 2007

The past month, I have been experiencing what I can only describe as a burnout). When I think about it, I have been juggling too many things, but they were not extraordinary tasks, so I wonder why I felt 'stressed'.

Things have been so hectic that I even missed foss.in this year (I have attended every year since 2003) but good to know that it went so well.

The good thing was that the vacation was right around the corner which kept me going. Even an hour before leaving from home for the flight, I was struggling to complete chores.

I am now in Singapore, staying with my friends, and exploring the place since the last 5 days.

Singapore is a really amazing city to live in. Everything is streamlined. Even the fish in the Underwater World at Sentosa Island are RFID-tagged!

IIRC, I once saw a board that said there's a 1000 SGD (singapore dollars) fine if you are found sitting on the stairs of the underground metro. I need to get one of those T-shirts that says 'Singapore is a fine city'. Heh.

P.S. If you're in Singapore too and want to meet up, give me a holler.

Update: Looks like Ben Rockwood is going through a strikingly similar phase.

Comments

@Premshree: So, I assume you are next going to move to a village in India so that you can appreciate the life you have now in USA? :P

Premshree Pillai says:

I’d hate to see a perfectly clean New York city, for example, I meant.

yashwanth says:

The weirdest thing I saw in Singapore was a hoarding that advertised a five star hotel's bar with a photo of empty groundnut shells littered on the hotel's floor and the message was - ' we dont have any rules , you can do whatever you want here' ( dont remember the exact words).

--y

@Chinmay : Thanks! It was nice meeting you again after so long.

@Yash : Heh.

Premshree Pillai says:

I hate Singapore because everything is so perfect. You need Bad to appreciate the Good, know what I mean?

PizzaDude says:

Welcome to Singapore lah!

Premshree Pillai says:

Okay, maybe that didn't come out right -- I'm just saying there's enough balance between what sucks and what rocks, say in the US or India, that I'm able to live just fine. I'd have to see a perfectly clean New York city, for example.