Analyze this

22 Nov 2007

Remember the Lex tool that we used in college days?

Ever wondered who wrote it? It was Eric Schmidt, along with Mike Lesk.

That's right, the CEO of Google.

I can imagine the CTO of a company to have such a background, but I never would have expected the CEO.

But then again, it's Google. They can do anything.

Comments

ravi says:

WOW!

Nice bit of trivia!

vahid says:

As you said it's not surprising for google anymore.
In fact as Paul Graham told, they are the community of Hackers. What is impossible to hackers is impossibility. Isn't it? :)

@Gopal: Heh, it's a coincidence really!

I came to these two blog posts from totally two different angles, but it's funny on what you pointed out. I never thought about it till now.

Gowri says:

Don't forget that Eric Schmidt was CTO and COO of Sun Microsystems before he joined Google. Its not like he wrote Lex when he was CEO of Google! (Now that would be something to talk about ;)) Lex was written some 25+ years ago when he was in AT&T Bell Labs working on Unix.

prem says:

I would be more comfortable if a company has a ceo with a non-tech background.....else most products they come up with will be totally geeky, and not appeal to most of the non-techie population.

Probably thats the reason that eric schmidt is almost a puppet for sergey & larry :)

@Gowri: Yes, that's right. That's why I said "such a background" :)

@Prem: I'm not so sure about that. Think about Yahoo!, Terry Semel and Jerry Yang.

t3rmin4t0r says:

So... when're you joining Google? :)

(otherwise the amount of fanboi in your posts about Yegge and Schmidt, is totally misplaced)