Should it be called a phone

12 Feb 2007

I lost my mobile phone recently. The funny thing is that I do miss my w800i but not for the phone call functionality, but for:

I think the w800i was one of the best things I ever bought, but I find it funny that I don't miss the 'phone' feature of it. Hmm. I am thinking of not buying a new mobile phone and see if I can live without it.

Update: How could I forget the stop watch feature...

Comments

Sayamindu Dasgupta says:

I have been keeping my cell (mostly) switched off for the last 2 weeks, and it seems to work for me. In case of emergencies, there's always the good old landline, and as for my geek friends, they are using IM to get in touch me.
Do post the results of your experiment.

PizzaDude says:

Way to go!! Let us know how "experiment" turns out :D

Srikanth Thunga says:

Finding a gadget with all those other features excluding the phone feature is tough.. All the pdas that are in the market are too broad for a trouser pocket..

The worst part is buying a phone with all these features but not being able to use those features until you insert a working sim card into it :))

Ankit says:

Ya, I use my W700i for everything other than talking. Mainly dump a lot of stuff I don't want to think about in the calendar.

When I do have to talk, landlines sound just that much clearer.

@Sayamindu : I'm starting to feel the same way too.

@PizzaDude : :)

@Thunga : Exactly. Plus, having one device that does everything (I had stopped using my iPod altogether as well) is really beneficial except that you can be disturbed any time with a phone, heh.

@Ankit : I used to use the notes feature a lot, and yes, landlines are better, at least they don't have connectivity issues.

LAKSHMINARAYANA says:

I AM ORDENT FAN OF YOUR TRECK AND TRAVEL SECTION. FROM LONG TIME THERE IS NO WEEKEND OUTINGS UPDATES. TAKE LEAVE OF YOUR MATERIAL & GADGET WORLD. WHAT WE LOST IN THE CONCRETE JUNGLES CAN BE FOUND IN THE TREASURE OF NATURE.;-)

@LAKSHMINARAYANA : People go through various phases, and I guess this is one of those phases where I'm not travelling much.

Raj says:

Swaroop,

It feels real bad when anyone loses a phone, i have lost 2 of them unfortunately. I think the only way we could have got back all the phone data would have been if we had some kind of backup. I have read about many mobile backup systems, but havent tried them since i donot have internet on my mobile. Any suggestions on whether to go for such stuff.

Raj

@Raj : There should have been some software given to you along with the mobile phone that you can use to back up your address book on your computer.