Hard Questions

28 Sep 2006

1. Where do you see yourself 5 years from now?
  2. Should your life have a purpose? What if you don't know what exactly you want to do?
  3. How do you know when you're happy and truly achieved something?
  4. Ever inspired by Norvig's speech?
  5. Do you have aspirations/dreams? Even if it is world peace.
  6. Is money important or dreams?
  7. What if you don't have any dreams or aspirations?
  8. How often should you stop, take a step back and take stock of your situation?

Are there any more hard questions one has to ask oneself?

Comments

srid says:

The species homo sapiens may become extinct in future to give way to more highly-evolved-beings (perhaps, one that has more control over their minds). The word 'purpose' denotes an end in itself, while biological evolution has no 'end' but only 'means'.

I really don't have any concerns about the 'future'. Here, I am sitting in office, slacking off, reading some elisp code, chatting with #emacs fellas, etc.. :)

A zen master once said, "Life is like going into the sea knowing that the ship is going to sink in the middle!"

We 'create' such questions and delude ourself on the way ..

Rk says:

Very tough questions, indeed.
Thanks for the links.

Life is like going into the sea knowing that the ship is going to sink in the middle! « srikanththunga says:

[...] from here: http://www.swaroopch.info/archives/2006/09/28/hard-questions/#comments [...]

srikanth says:

The zen quote was profound..

I have reproduced it in my blog.. Let me know if you want me to remove it..

Pradeep Gowda says:

Smack!!

Three pounds of flax

@Sridhar : If we consider ourselves as a 'means' of evolution, then isn't our 'end'/purpose to contribute towards that evolution?

srid says:

If we consider ourselves as a ‘means’ of evolution, then isn’t our ‘end’/purpose to contribute towards that evolution?

I cannot clearly conceive a beginning or an end for evolution. It is happening "irrespective" of whatever we do. If that is the case, I fail to see the applicability of word "towards" in your question.

Even when considering a vehement phrase like 'survival of the fittest', I fail to see how the survived species become "holy" over the extinct ones.

Swaroop, I definitely see these as very superficial questions, which means, they do not solve the fundamental problem. The human condition is worse. Suffering being our primal problem, I incline toward Siddhartha's way of living (and that I am finding darn difficult to follow!).

@Sridhar : Does it mean that humans should just "take life as it goes" and not bother about anything? Won't life be more difficult that way?

Can you please detail on Siddhartha's way of living?

srid says:

Does it mean that humans should just “take life as it goes� and not bother about anything? Won’t life be more difficult that way?

Can you please detail on Siddhartha’s way of living?

That's difficult, but I try ...

After diligent meditation, he attained enlightenment. He said, life is suffering. And suffering is due to craving -- getting attached to our own habitual patterns of living. Any pattern creates friction with reality which is changing all the time. By breaking those patterns or letting go of craving, suffering can be ended. A well-defined path to reach this state is the noble eightfold path.

This doesn't mean that we should "take life as it goes" or not bother about anything. It means we should let go of our patterns (good and bad, etc.. and all such dualities) and be creative than reactive.

Leading such a life is very difficult. Trying to live life the creative way in spite of long-accumulated habitual reactions is like swimming against the strong ocean currents.

The noble eightfold path is very superficial in explaining the way. I recommend reading these two articles instead.

If you're interested, watch this 1 hour video by Alan Wallace: Toward the First Revolution in the Mind Sciences

Pradeep Gowda says:

@Sridhar,
Thanks for that lucid explanation. I've been following your fascination(?) with Zen Bhuddism for some time now.

More power to you :)