Ubuntu

12 Jul 2006

After reading about Mark Pilgrim's famous switch from Mac OS X to Ubuntu along with his list of must-use stuff, I installed Ubuntu Linux on my system (and removed Fedora Linux in the process...)

First impressions:

Comments

Pradeep says:

Yeah! Ubuntu rocks!

Ubuntu is an excellent distro for most poeple (beginners and experts alike).
Ubuntu has been my desktop os at home for more than an year, after a long relationship with Mepis :)
Also, both Ubuntu and Mepis are a good choice for slightly older systems (P3 and above).

I feel there is no reason for people to continue using Fedora unless you are living in a place where broadband is not available.

Installing anything using YUM is such a pain. AND it is so damn slow.

easy ubuntu is a nice touch. and its written in python :D
But, the total downloads come upto ~110MB, which might be little too big to download over dial-up/limited broadband.

Akshay Surve says:

wOw coOL !

even i m on ubuntu dapper.

jst wanted to say 'apt-get' is supercoOL !

;-)

@Pradeep : Yeah, I have a feeling that I'm going to stick with Ubuntu for a long time. The distro just "feels right". EasyUbuntu downloads a lot but at least it is just a one-click thing!

@Akshay : Agreed :)

Carthik says:

So a year and a half later, welcome aboard :)

@Carthik : Hehe :)

Rabin says:

There is no Indian mirror. foobar.archive.ubuntu.com is just an alias for the main server unless there are local mirrors (tw, de, fr, etc.).

Qwerty Maniac says:

Ditto to each point, coz I too just did that recently and your ebook is worth a fortune man, its so very easy!

taggy says:

yeah Ubuntu Rocks absolutely :) jus switched from Suse love the looks and the easy to use !!OS

Eric says:

You mentioned that you would have to have a rboadband connection to be able to install anything after the initial install. There is a project that is setting up a deb repo on a cd so that you can point your /etc/apt/source.list to it and install the apps that you have there. It isn't the same as pointing to a live repo but if you have to set up a number of machines then it could be helpful.

I would recommend using "aptitude install something" instead of "apt-get install something". Aptitude does a better job of dependency checking and removal if you choose to uninstall at a later time.

Another great site to check out is http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/

Anoop Nair says:

I personally like the idea of having an easy to set-up linux, Has been doing it from RH-6.2 onwards, But I have a few things which unfortunately dont work and broadband is really costly stuff in India
So I had to trow out ubuntu and install FC5

Preethi says:

I was on FC4 and quite happy with it but I switched to Kubuntu after reading this post and I am really glad that I did. The best part about ubuntu for me was the ease in getting the whatever applications I wanted. Synaptic rocks!

ss says:

Does Musicindiaonline work with ubuntu? I understand it works with mepis.

P A Babu says:

Yes it does.

Install real player 10.
Select the songs to be played
The player pops up.
Right Click on the frame of the player
Select "This Frame"
Then Open "View Frame Source"
Search for '.smil' (not 'blank.smil')
Copy and paste the URL to the Real Player's "Open Location"

Thats All