Mark of respect

12 Apr 2006

A legend is no more. Dr. Rajkumar was the defining person in the Kannada film industry. I remember his old black and white Kannada movies, especially the ones where he plays the CID investigator... those were such wonderful movies, they had a real story, amazing acting and such pleasant simple songs.

No Kannadiga can ever forget the famous words of "Huttidare Kannadanada Huttabeku" sung by Dr. Rajkumar.

The best thing about Dr. Rajkumar was that he was a simple-minded big-hearted person, always wishing good for the people. I can almost hear him say "devaru vaLLedu maaDali" (Let God take good care of you) in his distinctive and captivating voice.

But that comes to something that bothers me - why do his so-called fans burn jeeps and smash showrooms?

(Background : Yahoo! has shifted my group from M G Road to a space borrowed from Aztec, next to our EGL office, near Ring Road in Domlur.)

Today, I could see the smoke from the Domlur flyover being burnt and the flyover wasn't even complete yet. Just now, my colleague who's still working in office tells me that the newly inaugurated sony showroom, next to the Dell office, has been smashed.

Again, how does all this mark your respect for this great person? Rajkumar would never have incited anyone to violence. He would've been a sad man if he saw what was going on.

Update : Pradeep says it a lot better than I do.

Comments

Chetan says:

Chalisuva Modagalu was my favorite as a kid.

I guess every place has hooligans. In Bombay, I had a hard time finding some food on the day Thackeray's son and wife died. Rioting, forced shutdowns are becoming a norm. These people don't know the real meaning of mourning at all. It can be done in such a dignified manner -- a quiet procession, a string of films aired, et al, but this -- is incomprehensible.

srid says:

Death is painful, freaking painful.

Himanshu Nautiyal says:

I don't even know Kannada but even to me, "Huttidare Kannadanada Huttabeku" is a familiar tune. I haven't seen any of his movies, but the fanatic fandom he inspired was always fascinated me and made me curious about how it came about.

One incident from http://inhome.rediff.com/movies/2006/apr/13riti.htm just gave me my answer.

When Rajkumar took a short break, I shyly and silently pushed my autograph book into his hands. "Yaava classu wodtha iddiya magu? (What class are you studying in, my child?") he asked me, in a very kind voice.

Dr RajkumarI was struck dumb and just shook my head mutely. He patted me on the head, wrote in my book and handed it back to me. The words he has written were, again, typically Rajkumar. They were "Nimma abhimani, Rajkumar (your fan, Rajkumar.)"

@Chetan : My favorite is _Bangarada Panjara_.

Yes, I agree. It just makes no sense. Is it that the people who start these riots are uneducated? That's what it looks like to me.

@Sridhar : Hmm

@Himanshu : Yes, he was a remarkably humble (and well-meaning) man despite his demigod status.

PizzaDude says:

All the riots just dont make sense. Infact, I was watchingthe burial on TV and observed that the people started jumping around in excitement the moment they realised that the camera was pointed towards them. This definitely is not the was smeone acts when he/she is in mourning.

pallavi says:

naanobba kalla is my favourite as a kid they smashed the glass panes of the theatre for tickets n that was the last movie shown there later after 10 to 12 years i think they showed jeevana chaitra in guttahalli hanumanthnagar it was a rage for kannada movies we all in our family miss dr raj i love to watch him in sampattige sawaal,eradu kanasu ,i think his classic would be kasturi nivasa for which he got national award.He has acted fab in bhakta kumbara ,satya harishchandra i ve watched all these movies for nearly 10 times believe me its worth watching he is just a legend

Karthik says:

Dude am not able to view the blog ?

Onloy the headers ???

Arjun says:

Dr. Rajkumar was a very talented and versatile actor/singer. I really felt very sad for his family that day. A friend of mine has an uncle who was part of the Police Force which was present at the time of burial. The people were jumping into the grave and refusing to come out. And this was just for fun. I seriously can't imagine what the family would have gone through that day.