Speaking of foss.in

24 Oct 2005

Looks like the first shortlist of talks for foss.in was not enough, we now have the first list of special speakers: Jeremy Zawodny, Harald Welte, Brian Behlendorf, Rasmus Lerdorf, Dave Phillips, Danese Cooper, Alan Cox (yes, I said Alan Cox)... the list is impressive!

Comments

Julian says:

Swaroop,
I see you're an early adopter and you're doing a talk on TurboGears. Great stuff.
Do you have a tutorial or docs online? Just a request that you could post your slides or audio if you can.
What does Yahoo! think about Python? I know at Google, Python is used very heavily.
Later,
Julian

@Julian:

Yep, TurboGears is really neat. I haven't written anything on it although I will be definitely be putting up the slides for the talk.

In Yahoo!, we use Perl and C++ generally, and continue to use the same because we have a lot of infrastructure built around these two languages.

Regarding Python, I know that a lot of people (at least in Y! Bangalore) use Python for prototyping. I have been pinged by various yahoos asking questions about Python equivalents of Perl statements/modules/etc.

However, it looks like Python is becoming more accepted inside Y!. For example, here's a recent job listing:

Search Cluster Automation Engineer

* Large systems automation and monitoring, OOP, python, perl, C++, custom build tools and UIs

This position was listed under the "Senior Software Engineer - Search Core" section.

Sriram says:

I saw the list of speakers and went "Holy sh*t!". Awesome. Hats off to Atul Chitnis (not everyday will you hear that from a Microsoft employee :))

Ankit says:

Phew! Tall list this one! Although I have probably met only of the enlisted!

It would be interesting to see Sarath give his demo - cool.

Wish I could be there at Bangalore to attend this event :((

@Sriram: You can say that again ;-)

@Ankit: Why can't you make it?

Ankit Malik says:

Because

* I live in New Delhi, miles away from Bangalore!
* My family isn't planning a vacation to down South in the near future!
* I can't travel alone that far!

Ankit Malik says:

I saw the list of speakers and went “Holy sh*t!�. Awesome. Hats off to Atul Chitnis (not everyday will you hear that from a Microsoft employee :) )

Cool! BTW who is Atul Chitnis

@Ankit: Okay, Delhi is quite far off. Anyway, I guess you'll be coming down here after a couple of years :-)

Read about [Atul here](http://atulchitnis.com/bio/). Hint: He's the administrator/moderator of the [Bangalore LUG lists](http://linux-bangalore.org/blug/discussions/).

Ankit Malik says:

Anyway, I guess you’ll be coming down here after a couple of years

????????????????????

Ankit Malik says:

Impressive biography!

@Ankit: I meant after a couple of years, you would be old enough to come on your own.

Ankit says:

Oh Ok!

Ankit says:

BTW OT but did u suggest WP to AB ?

pradeep says:

@ankit:
english please
is it wordpress to amitabh bacchan?

Ankit says:

is it wordpress to amitabh bacchan?

Haha..I deliberately left it for you to figure out. So scratch the head a bit and think puhleeze. It is sorta of a quiz! go figure?

pradeep says:

I have figured it out.

Now the only missing piece is why you cannot answer a politely worded question, straight.

If it is something personal, which I'm not party to, say so.

There was no need to use the acerbic tone.

Ankit says:

I have figured it out.

If it is something personal, which I’m not party to, say so.

There was no need to use the acerbic tone.

C'mon. There was nothing secretive about it! It's just that I decided to use acronyms for the fun of it - for once stop being paranoid :P!

Actually AB refers to Ashok Banker. I was asking SC [again!] whether he has ever recommended WP to him?

pradeep says:

@ankit
chill :)
one more sterling example of why acronyms are bad :D

Ankit says:

oh ok...actually we have a game in here. Its pretty popular among my circle of friends. We use acronyms to tell about a relevant situation with clues of course and you got to guess... although I can see you guys arent interested! :))