Gaim for some Google Talk

13 Oct 2005

Somebody pointed to this in our intranet. From the Gaim website :

I (Sean) have been hired by Google, moved to Seattle, and have been working on the Google Talk team for about a month and a half. The goal of Google Talk is to make real-time communication as open as possible, and in that regard, I've been working to offer all of Google Talk's features into other clients. Currently, I'm working on making it as easy as possible for other clients to use Google Talk's voice features. You can expect Gaim and other clients to be interoperable with Google Talk's voice features in the near future.

On a related note, the gaim-vv project—which aimed to offer a framework for voice and video support in Gaim—is being merged back into Gaim proper for hopeful incorporation into Gaim 2.0.0. This will be used to support Google Talk's voice as well as MSN and Yahoo! webcams.

Wow! I was praying for something like this to happen.

Comments

Sudar says:

Even I do.... Hopefully that happens soon...

@Sudar: I don't think we should hold our breath. Voice on Linux is difficult to achieve, but I'm hoping for the best!

pradeep says:

@swaroop:
you said "...Voice on Linux is difficult to achieve, ..."
How so?,

@Pradeep: Just from an ordinary user's view, getting XMMS to play is not straightforward. Everytime I make a new Linux install, I have to muck with arts vs oss vs esound or something like that. For example, I have to make XMMS to use arts when running KDE and choose oss plugin when running Gnome. Many times I've given up. Somehow I feel developing voice applications for Linux would also be equally problematic, but I could be easily wrong here :-). Please feel free to correct me.

Ankit Malik says:

@Sudar: I don’t think we should hold our breath. Voice on Linux is difficult to achieve, but I’m hoping for the best!

cough SKYPE cough.

WOW! This is cool news. Waiting for it to be implemented!

pradeep says:

hmm..
Strangely, I've never had any trouble with linux/sound till day (well, after 2003, that is); but last week i had to go through all that you have listed above to get my Office PC sound-enabled. :|

@Ankit: Good point!

@Pradeep: Yes, it's a pain.

AA says:

This move of the author of gaim to MS ... kindda worrying. I wonder if development of GAIM will still go on. I am waiting for the 2.0 version release. Wonder if my wait has just been extended by a who lot of time?

@AA: Isn't Sean moving to Google (not MS) ?