Any webdevs interested to work for Yahoo

06 Oct 2005

My team is looking for web developers who can work on a contract basis for 3-6 months.

Knowledge of PHP, Perl, Apache, FreeBSD(or Linux) is required.

If anybody you know is interested, please ask them to send their resume to me ASAP.

Comments

Kalyan says:

Me me me.. I seem to be doing lot more webdev lately then security :)

srid says:

"contract basis" work seems cool, but I wonder how practical that is going to be for Indians.

Julian says:

hey swaroop,
i wonder if you could comment on the use of php at yahoo!.
i guess its main popularity came from the simple mental shift from html code.
i know a lot of large companies firmly back php (ibm, php, etc.. see latest php conference for more).

.. but isn't perl just a relic? more a case of it was there first.

i understand also that yahoo! chose freebsd over linux way back when because at the time freebsd was more mature. that too can be argued to have changed.

julian

@Kalyan: LOL :-). I know how you feel, I've been debugging PHP/Perl/Apache stuff lately!

@Sridhar: There are many contractors working in Y!

@Julian: Perl is definitely not a relic. Let me put it this way... Perl is the heartbeat of Y! that keeps it ticking.

Yes, you're right about the choices of Perl and FreeBSD have been made a long time ago, and yes, the situation has changed. I don't think the choice is going to change any time soon, because there are no significant benefits in switching to other platforms - that's a long story.

Arun says:

A switch from FreeBSd to Linux. Ugh. No, am not gonna start an OS war here.

@Arun: Who said anything about switching from FreeBSD to Linux?