Firefox has become cranky

22 Jun 2005

Is anybody else experiencing frequent Firefox crashes after upgrading to 1.0.4 ?

0.9 to 1.0.2 were rock solid. I wonder what's up with this latest version.

Comments

Pooya says:

It is working very good here. What I experienced is that most of firefox crashes are because of extensions, try upgrading your extension and also finding those extension how cannot update themself automatically. I saw that especially with extensions that add options to right click menu.

goosmurf says:

Yup. Frequent crashes when loading java applets. Not sure why (haven't bothered investigating).

Gavri Fernandez says:

shhhhhhh!! I've had the same problem for about a month now. Kind of embarassed to admit it to anyone else after all my harping about how great Firefox is and how IE is a piece of crap..
Don't blog about this, man! It hurts our reputations :P

Krishna says:

I have been using it since it was released. I dont see any issue so far!! Didn't a fresh reinstall help?

Sudar says:

Hmm, even I have noticed a similar behavior. After the update, the browser freezes when I keep it open for long time with out using it. It takes around 5 minutes (together with lot of refreshes) for it to come to life again

Mahesh says:

I was under the impression these firefox crashes are only on FreeBSD!! and was trying to live with it.

BTW, how compatible is the flash plugin for firefox1.0.4 on FreeBSD.

-Mahesh
Celebrating Life...

Tom says:

On W2K, it seems to be working fine for me. No crashes that I can recall.

pradeep says:

firefox sucks on Linux. Konqueror rocks!!
Firefox on W2K is very nice, though.

Azmi Ahmad says:

I have also been observing crashes after upgrading to 1.0.4 on Win XP Pro. Mostly when I am accessing websites having Java Applets and are more IE friendly.

Manish Jethani says:

Go to 1.1. It'll still crash, but you'll feel happy about being on the cutting edge. :)

Raj Shekhar says:

Disable the adblock extensions and then try using it. I think that is what is causing FF to crash on sites using tons of flash

@_: Woah! that's a lot of ayes and nays :)

I have zero Firefox extensions installed and generally do not visit any Java-based sites either. What I've noticed is that it still works great on Windows but I seem to experience the problems on *nix systems.

@Manish: I have DeerPark on my Mac and that works pretty well, although I don't use it as much since I have Safari :)

Sudar Blogs says:

Is FireFox 1.4.0 unstable?

Recently I saw Swaroop saying that Firefox 1.0.4 is frequently crashing in his system. It was only after reading his blog and the comments I began to notice that even I have a similar problem, particularly when I keep it open for long time without us...

Ankit Malik says:

Hmm...not here..

Don’t blog about this, man! It hurts our reputations
Now that is stupid...if it is ok to blog about its '+ point' it is probably also ok to blog about its '- points'!

Gavri Fernandez says:

@ankit: I was kidding. I thought it was painfully obvious but just to make sure all of god's creatures understood that I was being funny, I ended my sentence with this emoticon -> :-P

Ankit Malik says:

ok :p

SultanArun says:

The 2 issues i found are
1> It sleeps if we are not using it
2> if the default homepage loading crash
firefox wont be launched, though it is loaded to memory.

Adarsh Bhat says:

me too

RoadRunnerAZ says:

Howdy!
I've been trying to load applets with Firefox with no sucess. As I was reading through this forum I noticed some of you guys have experienced the same problem.
Has anyone found the cure for that? thx in advance

RoadRunnerAZ says:

Ooops! I guess I've just found the way to make an applet run on both IE and FF. Here it goes some example using
HTML.

Applets

Using "applet" yyyy

It works fine!
Good programming,
RR-AZ

RoadRunnerAZ says:

Sorry I forgot to comment it out so that can be displayed on this page.

"Applets
" Using "applet" yyyy

RoadRunnerAZ says:

If someone needs the code, just email me... I couldn't paste the HTML code into this page.
jrcavallaro@gmail.com

Sudar’s Blog » Is FireFox 1.0.4 unstable? says:

[...] Recently I saw Swaroop saying that Firefox 1.0.4 is frequently crashing in his system. It was only after reading his blog and the comments I began to notice that even I have a similar problem, particularly when I keep it open for long time without using it. (I have the habit of not shutting down my system for weeks together). [...]