Sleuth

11 Jun 2005

Today evening, I watched the 'Sleuth' drama by ACTor theatre and directed by Pawan Kumar.

The play has an interesting story and takes a lot of turns and twists. It even has a cheeky sense of humour that's just about right. As Times of India mentions in Page 2 today:

The Broadway-styled play Sleuth made its first appearance on the London stage in 1970 and it was an instant success. Winner of the Tony award in 1971, the play has a twist every 15 minutes. As the tradition goes, reviewers and the audience are requested not to reveal the plot and never has it been in the written word.

In spite of that, I want to talk about the real story.

The real story is Pawan Kumar, the director. He used to study in the same college as myself and he was involved in a lot of plays in our batch's theatre group "Center Stage". He soon left college for the "love of theatre" and went to get involved in theatre full time. It sounds "cool" and all, but honestly how many of us would have taken such a step? It takes real guts and belief to do something like that. After seeing 'Sleuth', I am happy that he took that step. It is a brilliant production of a play and I am looking forward to what he comes up with next.

More details about the play itself are at rangashankara.org

Comments

JD says:

OT:

I have book tagged you. I hope you don't mind. :)

JD

niara ahmed says:

I agree. I think it is very difficult not to get swayed by the prospect of financial returns and take up a career you are passionate about. But don't you think pursuing your passion after you complete your education is a better idea?

@JD: I just have to find out what book tagging is now :)

@Niara: I agree. Education is invaluable, it can never be quantified, but let us look at this way: Would you rather spend 2 full years working towards something you love and know that you want to dedicate the rest of your life to, or learn and work on something that totally does not interest you. Think about it.

Yashwanth says:

Just FYI, the group that Pawan started was 'Center Stage' ,not Full Dhool ( which was the mad ads team) :)

niara ahmed says:

"Would you rather spend 2 full years working towards something you love and know that you want to dedicate the rest of your life to, or learn and work on something that totally does not interest you. "
Isn't that the luxury of the rich?

@Niara : I like to think of it as the courage of the passionate.

niara ahmed says: