Faith and Life

03 May 2005

Last weekend, I had been on a pilgrimage with my family to Rameswaram. I have heard that Rameswaram is supposedly the biggest temple in India, although I haven't been able to confirm that. The highlight of the pilgrimage was that we had to take bath in, or rather poured a bucket of, water from each of 22 wells in the temple. The other highlight was the Meenakshi temple in Madurai which has 1011 statues.

11997364_77d5bc23a8_z 12001813_b3ad759229_z 12002254_b5456fdf8a_z

Rameswaram is an island and is connected to the mainland through the Pamban bridge which is a structure of beauty.

12006315_1e332ee403_z 12007187_3af7ba0d24_z 12007315_9df067a3ad_z

According to the Ramayana, Rama and his followers built a bridge (sethu) from Rameswaram to Sri Lanka using stones, crossed the ocean and then he rescued his wife Sita from the demon king Ravana, Lord of Sri Lanka. On his successful return to Rameswaram, a lingam was installed and Rama worshipped Lord Shiva to absolve himself of the crime of killing Ravana. This lingam is one of the reasons why Rameswaram is considered a holy place for Hindu devotees.

12014358_65a9bcfd05_z 12017034_f51dc4fa56_z

In the long journey between Madurai and Rameswaram, I wrote a poem (if I can call it that):

12007807_da49fa8f40_z 12008130_009d61f5b6_z

Life is about breaking out... Breaking from the routine Breaking out from what is expected Breaking out from your own expectations Who knows where life's journey leads to But maybe it doesn't matter As long as you make your choices And have no regrets.

12015934_cdd324f22f_z 12004055_75fde6c9a9_z

Life is about freedom... Freedom to choose Freedom to live the life you dream of Freedom to help your friends Freedom to keep your family happy Freedom to have a philosophy Freedom to live by your rules.

12008726_ba7eb7358b_z 12009783_2222086843_z

Life is like music... Every song has its appeal So do opportunities Every tune has its rhythm So does our family Every lyrics has its meaning So do our values Every album has its genre Such as our nation Every beat has a pulse Such as each day Every song has a beginning and an end Life is like that What matters is how you feel when the song is ending

Comments

Eh! Man says:

kapi varyarige Ughe! Ughe!!

Eh! Man says:

BTW, nice photos of the sea :)

Kiran says:

I did not know geeks wrote poetry.. The photos are good. I too want to go now.

Ram says:

Nice pics. Keep it going

Shuveb Hussain says:

Geeky change...

Life is about freedom…
Freedom to choose [free software]

Badrinath K Nair says:

Swaroop, you have written a wonderful poem.Might be you must explore that side of yours more.Keep up the good spirit, dude.

vineetha says:

Thats a lovely poem, this is a truly successful attempt at not attempting the lyrical poetry u used to write, once upon a time...
I especially liked the last stanza.

PS: convey my "Hi" to ur sis

Jag says:

Nice poem Swaroop. the pics are really great. Looks like a fun trip overall.

puranjaym says:

Really nice photos ,I'm inspired to higher realms

@Pkg: Thanks. I really liked the beach and the sea, and I think I'm getting pretty good at point-and-click photography :lol:

@Kiran: I am _not_ a geek! Anyway, yes, the photo has come out well.

@Ram: Thanks :)

@Shuveb: Geeky as ever :P

@Badri: Thanks for the encouragement!

@Vineetha: I was tempted to 'edit' the poem to make it 'better' but I decided to leave the original words as it is and didn't want to lose the original flow of thoughts.

@Jag: Thanks

@Puranjay: Thanks :)

aakash says:

Good place and photos, intellectual post.

best wishes

Pallavi says:

Yeah, i have been there .. its a nice place... a bit crowded but loved the temples and the view from the temples.. there is a point where you can see Sri Lanka .. :)

your cousin stuck in snowy canada says:

wonderful poem swaroop...esp the first paragraph...i htought i saw someone reply to u sayin that everything should b free, all software included...if that happens, bangalore and all of us will b out of work and back to layin bricks..lol...there should b some stuff free and some stuff for money...otherwise this world and our lives will never be better...thats my 2 cents of advise/comments...cheers guys
-hemanth

PS: the snow just melted here and its gettin hot with +10C temperatures...

Kiran Jonnalagadda says:

Nice!

Celeste says:

I enjoyed see the photos of the temple and reading what you had to say about your trip. It was very interesting. Thanks :¬)

Hagrid says:

Very nice poems ...

-cheers
Hagrid

Sarika says:

Wow! The bridge is amazing! And I loved the pictures of the water... so clear and crisp and tempting. I'm not a temple person, but may just want to go there only to go across the bridge! :)

pushpavani says:

Nice poem...Especially the first para...Its so true!!!

@Aakash: Thanks :)

@Pallavi: I heard that point is just 22 km away from Sri Lanka!

@Hemanth: He *never* said everything should be free software, he just said we have freedom to choose free software. Please read carefully before replying.

@Sarika: Yeah, definitely go there sometime!

@Kiran, @Celeste, @Hagrid, @Pushpavani: Thank you all :)

Mekin says:

Good stuff dude ..
keep travelling ..

Vidya says:

Beautiful pics ! Liked the poem too ..especially the following two lines :

Every song has a beginning and an end
Life is like that

So true !

Krish says:

Well, good stuff dude.. i liked the travel part.. life is good the way it is.. don bother to redefine it... hehe..

sushma says:

hmmm cool photos except tht solo one of yours.. I actually cudn't make out tht you were smilin until i read your note below :-))....
N Looks like you r having lot of fun even now. I thght with the busy schedules you must have stopped those so called "trekking n travelling".
N the poem is really gud but then dun try another one on the same lines ( ;-) ) coz you'll end up with the same poem agn.. hee hee..
anyways cya later!!! :-)

Ashok K. Banker says:

Hi Swaroop,

Nice pics, nice poem. You express yourself unpretentiously and openly, and that's great. Keep writing more poetry!

Ashok

@Mekin, Vidya, Krish, Sushma: Thank you for all your words :)

@Ashok: Thanks, it had been a long time since I had written from-the-heart :)

niara ahmed says:

Woah! Is Madurai so beautiful? I'm from that place (almost!) and I didn't even know. Should visit those temples sometime. I like the pic of the pillars. The edgy look is nice.
I have trekked in Thekkadi once . You should try that sometime. : )
Amateur poet, huh? What next , Swaroop?
My fave lines:

Life is like music…
Every tune has its rhythm
So does our family

Every beat has a pulse
Such as each day
Every song has a beginning and an end
Life is like that
What matters is how you feel when the song is ending

So when do I get to read the next one?
: )
Keep it going!

vijay says:

Great work,its splendid ,I was there last year and im trying to figure out the pics(adams Bridge)no trace except the NASA photo's.But youve done a great job,this makes me feel like going bk again.