iPod

21 Mar 2005

My manager went to our Sunnyvale office recently and came back today. I had asked him to get an iPod Mini for me... when he gave it to me in the morning, I was grinning away to glory. I am not much of a gadget guy, but I was craving for an iPod being such a music buff. I forced myself not to open up the package in the morning (otherwise I wouldn't get any work done). So, when I came back home in the evening, I tore open the package and went total gaga over it.

Packaging of My iPod! Packaging of My iPod!

First of all, it is so compact, I wonder how Apple managed to squeeze so much into something so small... this is the 4 GB version, so I can store approximately 1000 songs on this baby! Oh, and I can use it as a huge floppy drive as well ;)

Coming to life!

The first song I copied to it and listened was the instrumental version of the title track of Roja. For me, there is simply no other song that is as good as that one...

Listening to Roja See how really cute it is!

Just compare the sizes of the iPod Mini and my watch in the last snap above... :)

Now, I just have to find enough good songs to fill it....

P.S. The reason I had to get it 'imported' was that it costs $200 == 9 grand rupees that way whereas it costs 18 grand rupees in the Apple store in Forum, Koramangala, Bangalore.

Comments

Azmi says:

Swaroop,
800 is too much, looks like you will end up saving a lot. How about sharing some ;-)

Azmi says:

Hey,
Whats the battery backup for this....

Pradeep says:

cool! rock and roll!!

Swaroop C H says:

Thanks Angel, I'm listening to Bryan Adams... the clarity is mindblowing. Btw, the iPod is actually smaller than that photo in the middle!

angeline says:

WOW.congrats!!
Get some great music and knock yourself out!!
1000 songs...u dont really need to pick n choose, do u?

Kapil Karekar says:

Nice :D

I have been begging everyone returning from sunnyvale to get me an Apple powerbook/ibook ... alas :( I have not been able to convince anyone yet. It's just way too costly to buy it in India. For a Powerbook the difference in price is > $800 :O

Enjoy the iPod ... it's a piece of art :)

Swaroop C H says:

Aggelos: Your time will come ;)

Swaroop C H says:

Kapil: Yeah, it's tough to ask that since we're talking quite a bit of moolah here... incidentally, I've convinced my friend who's leaving to US tomorrow to get me a PowerBook :D

Swaroop C H says:

Azmi: Battery life is 18 hours. It charges to 80% full in an hour.

Swaroop C H says:

Thanks Pradeep :)

Aggelos says:

Me wants. :-(

Kiran H S says:

I hope you don't mind me coming to your desk frequently to listen to songs from it.

brijwhiz says:

Congrats on your buy!!! Isn't it ridiculously funny, this difference in cost. I was in Bangalore last month and paid a visit to the Apple shop in Forum. I asked the Apple guy there the cost of an iPod and he gave me the ridiculous sum. I point-blanked asked him why I should buy from him instead of importing it. He actually agreed and told me that I am better off buying from abroad. WTF is the need for this shop then???? Ridiculous!!! I am gonna go for the Zen Micro when I can afford it.

Swaroop C H says:

Kiran: You are welcome to drop in anytime :)

Swaroop C H says:

Yeah, Brij, the price difference is way too much. Rashmi Bansal has written an [excellent post about the same titled "Why iPod ain't God"][1].

And the shop... well, it might be handy for me for accessories ;)

[1]: http://youthcurry.blogspot.com/2005/02/why-ipod-aint-god.html

Vigvg says:

yes, the Apple Store here is way too over priced... I got my 20G from Pitt too... Am currently on the lookout for audio solutions to go along with the iPod. The Bose solution, once again is too over priced. I have an iTrip for the car radio, but I do get a lot of interference inside the house though... more importantly, any ideas for serious surround sound solutions ?

Denny says:

Hi Swaroop,
Just wanted to ask you if you were charged any duty for the iPOD mini at the customs....
Coz I was planning to import it and I just wanted to know if I will have to part with a hefty sum at the customs office for duty charges...

Prashant says:

Hi..Please let me know where exactally is the Head Office of Apple (for iPods) in India and the contact number?

Prashant says:

Hey is it true that the iPod along with Bang & olufsen's earphones is an rocking combination?? Just heard from my friends in Europe that the above combination is just what the doctor advices for we music lovers??? If so, is it possible for me to get this combination here in INDIA!!!

coimbatore says:

You can buy Apple Notebooks and ipod from Shriasys in Coimbatore. Call at 422-4202656

Anand Kumar says:

What about the warrenty for the imported one, will it by default carry international warrenty

S Anand Kumar
Bangalore

@Anand : Yes. But it's better you confirm it once.