Politics anyone

22 Feb 2005

Rashmi Bansal asks why the so-called 'NextGen' youth Indian politicians haven't made any impact so far. Let me hazard a guess: Because the oldies haven't given them a chance to actually accomplish something.

I imagine the situation to be like this:

Young neta goes to old neta and says: 'I have an interesting idea to make power available in the villages'.

O: We do not have enough power in the cities itself. Concentrate on that. Y: We can use the same idea for the cities. O: Talk to the concerned authorities. Y: Which agency I should talk to? There are so many. O: You're a neta. Find out.

And finally, the young neta goes away grumbling... discouraged yet again.

If you don't believe this could happen, read about how Lalu remains in power, it'll shock you.

I still want to believe Rashmi's words when she says

Given facts if political life such as corruption will remain - whether the young or old are in power - I for one would still plump for youth. Because young politicans - thanks in part to their fancy overseas education - have a greater stake in seeing the country progress than politicians well past the prime of their lives.

I hope the youth politicians do make a difference. Emphasis on hope.

Aside: Rashmi Bansal writes a very interesting blog called 'Youth Curry' where she discusses the youth trends in India. Some of my favorite articles by her is 'Woh Ladki Hai Kahaan' where she discusses about the freedom and opportunities for Indian girls and the article about what Google can teach youth marketers.

Rashmi is a journalist and has written many articles for Business World, she's an IIM-Ahmedabad alumnus and founder-editor of JAM Magazine.

Comments

Praveen A says:

Swaroop: There is a group in yahoo Yuvashakthi which says

> India needs fresh blood in her to feel rejuvenated and to rise above the rest of the world. Youths of India are going to change her completely for Good. We dream of an India, which is corruption-free, powerful and as a beautiful nation. India will soon be a paradise for everyone.

Yuva of this group will work hard to transform our dream into reality.

Also Indian youth, they say

> We are here to make a big difference to the nation and thus are proud to be a part of India. We not only discuss but take action towards the thoughts of the development of India. It is the YOUTH who can do it and will surely change India towards a better direction.

INSPIRE THE YUVA!!!

How many of us (the so called educated and techies) give a serious thought to politics ? well, I don't know. We just blame the system. We say this isn't working, that isn't working, this shouldn't be like this, that shouldn't be like this.

How many of us has the real 'this thing' to see the change and have an active part in the progress of India. I hope these groups are but small steps to make a change. Indian Youth was started by my friend Zubin from Mumbai NM college and they are into many projects that would make some difference to the lifes of many.

Light a candle than cursing the dark.

Swaroop C H says:

Praveen: I have been trying to learn more about [Janaagraha][1] and hope to soon get involved in their activities. I do not just blame the system and sit back.

[1]: http://www.janaagraha.org/

Pradeep says:

Age and Cunning always overcomes youth and wisdom.
So goes the saying..
Dont stop trying.. ultimately you will grow old and smart(cunning :) ) and the cycle repeats...

Swaroop C H says:

Pradeep: You are smart and cunning, that implies you are.... never mind :P