Stories by Sudha Murty

23 Jan 2005

I just read the book 'How I Taught My Grandmother to Read and Other Stories', its a splendid collection of short stories by Sudha Murty. She has a very poignant yet subtle way of explaining things and I was smiling throughout each story :)

One of my favorite stories is 'I Will Do It' where she describes a young boy who secured a good rank in the IIT entrance exam but he could not join IIT because his father could not afford it. The boy did not give up hope and had these words in mind: 'All students from the IITs study well and do big things in life. But it is not the institution, ultimately it is you and you alone who can change your life by hard work.' Today, he is a successful person, an icon of simplicity, uncompromising quality and fairness. He is none other than Infosys founder Nagavara Ramarao Narayana Murthy!

Some of my other favorite stories include 'Abdul Kalam', 'Appro JRD', 'The Story of Two Doctors', 'A Journey Through Desert' and 'Doing what you like is freedom'. I was able to get my sis interested enough to read 'I Will do it' and she was impressed. A few minutes ago, I was surprised to see even Dad reading the book...

A very good book. Don't miss it.

Comments

Dilip says:

just a related book ! The Book " Five Point Some one , What not to do at IIT ", by Chetan Bhagat, an ex IITian is another intersting book on how to screw up the studies in IIT . The book is really worth for 90 rupees.

Gauri says:

'How I taught my grandmother to read & other stories'-Lovely book. Brings tears in the eyes. "Horegallu" is superb. To give a patient hearing is great! That helps solve many a problems. Being a teacher myself, I try to identify myself with Sudha Murty and then know my limitations. Love for students, however, is a common feature.

Gauri, that's true. It's amazing how much Sudha Murty oozes immaculate simplicity in attitude and qualities such as patience. I do not want to paint her as a saint, but I really do look up to her.

I love teaching too, probably why I like to give so [many talks](/archives/category/talk/)! :)

Spenta says:

wonderful book. there are very few writers who can write so well.

Palav A.Kamdar says:

"Wise and other wise" is an awsome book."How i taught my grandmother to read" and all the other books are very good. They are very inspirational.

jyothi r pai says:

I am doing research work on sudha murty. I would like to receive the response from readers of sudha murty's book. Thanks

anish says:

nice

sarangi suresh says:

i like sudha murthy's short stories as it is about her life experiences in a nutshell, written in common english, so any one can read it easily.!!!!!!!!!!!!