A Rich Life

04 Jan 2005

One of my favorite stories that I have read is as follows:

One day a father of a very wealthy family took his son on a trip to the country with the firm purpose of showing his son how poor people live.

They spent a couple of days and nights on the farm of what would be considered a very poor family. On their return from their trip, the father asked his son, "How was the trip?" "It was great, Dad." "Did you see how poor people live?" the father asked. "Oh yeah," said the son. "Tell me, what did you learn from the trip?" asked the father.

The son answered: "I saw that we have one dog and they had four. We have a pool that reaches to the middle of our garden and they have a creek that has no end. We have imported lanterns in our garden and they have the stars at night. Our patio reaches to the front yard and they have the whole horizon. We have a small piece of land to live on and they have fields that go beyond our sight. We have servants who serve us, but they serve others. We buy our food, but they grow theirs.We have walls around our property to protect us, they have friends to protect them."

The boy's father was speechless.

Then his son added, "Thanks, Dad, for showing me how poor we are."

Isn't perspective a wonderful thing? Makes you wonder what would happen if we all gave thanks for everything we have, instead of worrying about what we don't have.

Comments

Vivek Varghese Cherian says:

This article was really thought provoking.

Thanks for sharing it with me mate.

Regards,

Vivek Varghese Cherian

Pramod says:

really nice! gratitude for all that I have is something even I've been feeling a lot, of late.

Divya says:

a very good article. it teaches us not to grief bout wat v dont hav n rather cheris wat v hav!

Dinesh says:

while reading this thought proving story. I recalled an anonymos quote, which I came across some time back. it says.

I asked God for strength that I might achieve. I was made weak that I might learn humbly to obey. I asked for health that I might do greater things. I was given infirmity that I might do better things. I asked for riches that I might be happy. I was given poverty that I might be wise. I asked for power that I might have the praise of men. I was given weakness that I might feel the need of God. I asked for all things that I might enjoy life. I was given life that I might enjoy all things. I got nothing that I asked for, but everything I hoped for. Almost despite myself, my unspoken prayers were answered. I am, among all men, most richly blessed

Thanks
Dinesh

Swaroop C H says:

Thank you all for your comments!
Good to know that the story struck a chord in your hearts :)

JD says:

Good one! Thanks for sharing.

JD

angeline says:

hey...interesting story...
If you've heard Sheryl Crow's song 'soak up the sun'...one line in it says : "It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got"